Lambda-Stack does not upgrade to PyTorch v 1.0

PyTorch v 1.0 just came out. Because it has some bugfixed that are relevant for my current research projects, I am wondering if it is save to update it via on the lambda stack. Or do you recommend waiting until the docker container is updated?

Thanks,
Sebastian

1 Like

Yes, we have 1.0 in the latest Lambda Stack update:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get autoremove
1 Like

Hm, just tried to run the upgrade command

and after checking, it seems that PyTorch didn’t get updated.

>>> import torch
>>> torch.cuda.is_available()
True
>>> torch.__version__
'0.4.1'
>>> torch.__file__
'/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/torch/__init__.py'
>>> 

That’s weird. When I previously updated via

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

from PyTorch 0.4.1 to 0.4.1, I didn’t have this issue. Any tips for resolving this? Should I maybe try to manually uninstall/remove pytorch and then try the

or could that break things?

Maybe you’ve installed pytorch via pip? Run:

sudo pip uninstall pytorch torchvision

Maybe you’ve installed pytorch via pip?

As far as I remember, I haven’t on the machine where I run the lambda-stack (I was very careful not making any changes on that machine after I got it :P)

I tried both

sudo pip3 uninstall pytorch torchvision

and

sudo pip3 uninstall pytorch torchvision

and in both cases I get a

Cannot uninstall requirement pytorch, not installed

I have now tried the command

multiple times and before and after rebooting the machine, but unfortunately, it still looks like PyTorch is not being updated to 1.0 (it’s still 0.4.1). And again, I don’t have installed PyTorch manually and are using it via the Lambda Stack that came with the Lambda Quad machine.

user@lambda-quad:~$ pip3 uninstall pytorch
Cannot uninstall requirement pytorch, not installed
user@lambda-quad:~$ python3
Python 3.6.7 (default, Oct 22 2018, 11:32:17) 
[GCC 8.2.0] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import torch
>>> torch.__file__
'/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/torch/__init__.py'
>>> torch.__version__
'0.4.1'

I would appreciate any pointers from here.

Thanks!

I think v1.0 PyTorch is coming soon to Lambda Stack. It’s not currently in the Lambda Stack but it will be soon!

1 Like

Thanks for the update. It would be nice to leave a brief note once it’s in the stack so I don’t have to check manually every day :). Maybe, it would also be nice to list the available software library version of the main DL packages on the Lambda-Stack page so that there’s no confusion among users in cases like this.

2 Likes

Hey. I just ran sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get autoremove, but my torch version is still 0.4.1, and not 1.0. The model I want to run requires version 1.0. Please advise. Thanks.

I kind of gave up on using the lambda-stack. It’s really out of date right now. Not sure if it is really maintained anymore. I just installed Conda now and then installed the latest version via

conda install pytorch torchvision -c pytorch