Command ‘nvidia-smi’ not found after Lambda Stack reinstall

I followed the steps to remove and reinstall Lambda Stack in Ubuntu on a Tensorbook (https://support.lambdalabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/6762130411277-Reinstall-Lambda-Stack-in-Ubuntu-on-a-Tensorbook), but I get an error command ‘nvidia-smi’ not found followed by a number of suggestions for packages to install. Also, torch.cuda.is_available() returns False. I would copy the error here but the laptop keeps freezing and is very slow to reboot. I looked at other related issues but haven’t found a fix.

Now I’m getting a similar warning as one of the earlier posts: NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn’t communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

sudo apt update &> nvidia-smi-troubleshooting.txt

I can’t post the whole output since as a new user, I am limited in the number of urls I can post. But I’m seeing this error:

Err:9 https://apt.retorque.re/file/zotero-apt ./ InRelease
Could not resolve ‘apt.retorque.re’

And the following:

Fetched 6,849 kB in 2s (3,375 kB/s)
Reading package lists…
Building dependency tree…
Reading state information…
All packages are up to date.
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1
W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (main/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1
W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1
W: Target DEP-11-icons-hidpi (main/dep11/icons-64x64@2.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1
W: Failed to fetch https://apt.retorque.re/file/zotero-apt/./InRelease Could not resolve ‘apt.retorque.re’
W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1
W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (main/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1
W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1
W: Target DEP-11-icons-hidpi (main/dep11/icons-64x64@2.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:57 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lambda-repository.list:1

Are you able to upload the output, instead of copy ‘n’ pasting?

NB: The error about not being able to resolve apt.retorque.re isn’t breaking Lambda Stack.