Installing Lambda Stack on my "non-clean" workstation

Hey there, I had a look and didn’t see a thread discussing this, so sorry if I missed it!

I just got back from NeurIPS (where I spoke to your awesome team) and I am very keen to get started with using Lambda Stack on my workstation. The only thing that is getting in my way is fact that I have a few questions I have not been able to find the answers to. The main point being: “I have a workstation on which I already have Anaconda, tensorflow, pytorch, CUDA, etc installations - all that messy stuff - and I want to know what I should do before I install the nice and sleek Lambda Stack”.

More explicitly:

• should I uninstall CUDA and CUDNN?
  • should I uninstall Anaconda (and all the python packages I have with it)?
  • does Lambda Stack come with a python package manager (like pip or Anaconda)?

It would be awesome if there was a blog tutorial on how people can convert from their current workstation setups to the Lambda Stack setup :slight_smile: In fact, if I have the answer to all these questions, I could write that up :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Elan,

The main things you’ll want to do is remove anything in your .bashrc that does stuff like export LD_LIBRARY_PATH or export PATH. Then remove anything that was pip installed (like tensorflow or torch).

Then simply install Lambda Stack and you should be set.

Hi Stephen,

I too am in the same situation where I want to set up Lambda Stack on a mature installation.

I had entries in LD_LIBRARY_PATH and export PATH which I removed.

I disabled the ufw firewall.

I’m still getting the same error of “E: Unable to locate package lambda-stack-cuda”.

$ LAMBDA_REPO=$(mktemp) && .…
Connecting to lambdalabs… (lambdalabs…)|52.8.62.94|:443… connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 200 OK
Length: 3588 (3.5K) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘/tmp/tmp.gy7bBSqtm3’

/tmp/tmp.gy7bBSqtm3 100%[================================================================>] 3.50K --.-KB/s in 0s

2020-01-12 20:49:17 (305 MB/s) - ‘/tmp/tmp.gy7bBSqtm3’ saved [3588/3588]

[sudo] password for odland:
(Reading database … 219176 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack /tmp/tmp.gy7bBSqtm3 …
Unpacking lambda-repository (0.1) over (0.1) …
Setting up lambda-repository (0.1) …
Hits and Gets 1…12
Fetched 252 kB in 4s (63.5 kB/s)
Reading package lists… Done
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package lambda-stack-cuda

Thanks in advance,

-Arne

Hey Arne,

Can provide the output of the following command?
apt policy lambda-stack-cuda

Hey Jeremy,

$ apt policy lambda-stack-cuda
N: Unable to locate package lambda-stack-cuda

$ sudo apt policy lambda-stack-cuda
[sudo] password for xxxxxxxx:
N: Unable to locate package lambda-stack-cuda

I get the same return on both machines, one is the older Ubuntu 18.04 install I’m attempting to add Lamda Stack to, and the other is a Lambda Tensor book where Lambda Stack was put on a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 install.

“apt-cache policy” instead of “apt policy”?

apt should suffice, though I’d be curious to know whether the output is different.

Now what about:
apt policy | grep lambda