When updating kernel the NVIDIA driver disappears

Hi there,
so first, I am quite new to Linux, but I had a little input from some Linux cracks in my office.

Environment:

• Razer Blade 15 2022
    • GeForce 3080 Ti
    • i7-12800H
  • Ubuntu 22.04.1
  • Kernel 5.18.19

Problem: I wanted to update the kernel to the newest version 6.03, as that seem to solve some hardware problems (like getting 240 fps, suspend works better, etc.). However, after the subsequent reboot, the NVIDIA driver seemed to disappear. We decided to uninstall everything related to the lambda stacks, as described in lambda docs, and reinstall Lambda Stack. However, I got the following error message:

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.18.19-051819-generic
Errors were encountered while processing:
 nvidia-dkms-510
 nvidia-driver-510
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I tried a couple of other ways to uninstall and reinstall the NVIDIA drivers without lambda stack, but the same error occurred every time. In the end, I just recovered the system and am now back to the old kernel and everything works.
So my question is: Is there a way to update the kernel without losing the NIVIDA driver, when using Lambda Stacks?

Besides that: Man, I love lambda stacks <3 Great work!

1 Like

If you update the kernel (or the driver) the driver kernel module needs to be rebuilt against that specific kernel. We have tested/confirmed the kernel-nvidia driver on the latest Ubuntu 22.04 LTS desktop.

There was a ‘color’ issue, we worked around. 240 fps and suspend I am not aware of a issue. But I will bring it up.

Ok, thanks! Then I am not messing around with that for now.
All the best