Tensorbook ubuntu start up after GRUB stuck at _ and black screen

Hello

i am using a tensorbook that has two partitions. One is using ubuntu 20 and another uses windows. I initially received alot of “sda_hda_intel 0000:00:if:3 no response from codec, (disabling MSI and resetting bus): last cmd =…” and then most of the time it would just work fine after appearing a couple of times. But recently it will get stuck on a loop where line after line the same command gets repeated.
Eventually, i had to manually force shut it. But now after choosing ubuntu on the GRUB, it output somes of those same commands but now instead of going into the ubuntu system it stays shut at displaying _ and black screen. The only way to resolve this was to force shut the machine.

ive tried this solution from stack “modify kernel cmdline settings, press ‘e’ at the GRUB menu, and replace “quiet splash” (as you have done) with “noacpi acpi=off”.” and it connects to my system but has trouble shutting down. It gets stuck after displaying “unable to grab IRQ 0, disabling device” so im not sure what is going

Is there any way around and what would be my options of recovery?

Thank you very much.

Kesh,

Hello! Thank you for reaching out. We can post the fix here also.
There is also a ‘nomodeset’ kernel option.

The tensorbooks are normally setup with:
sudo apt install nvidia-prime
sudo prime-select intel

printf "%s\n" "options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=1" "blacklist i2c_nvidia_gpu" |    \
	sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/tensorbook.conf && \
	echo i915 | sudo tee -a /etc/initramfs-tools/modules && \
	sudo sed -iE '/^GRUB_CMDLINE.*DEFAULT/ s/"$/ i8042.nomux"/' /etc/default/grub && \
	sudo update-initramfs -u -k all && \
	sudo update-grub

If this does not resolve the issue or if you prefer…
Could you send this to ‘support@lambdalabs.com’?
While it is up could you run:
sudo nvidia-bug-report.sh
Then send the resulting “nvidia-bug-report.log.gz” file to:
support@lambdalabs.com

Thank you!

Mark